Thursday, March 17, 2011

Something to Write Home about


Photo of Yanomamos — by James Lindbloom
Last Saturday there was a reunion show with a band I was in in 1988 called Yanomamos. The circumstances that brought us back together were Grant Harts (our drummer) house fire and loss of his mother. The 2 incidents were unrelated yet eerily close in proximity. (Oddly enough 1988 was the year my mother passed away which is what led to the band drifting apart... and now 22 years later to have the loss of his mother see us back together. Go figure world...) After what was already the hardest winter anyone around here can ever remember, this was a bit more icing on the cake than any of us really needs in life. It felt good to be back on stage together and may even open the door for more adventure!! Today Grant is on his way to celebrate his 50th birthday watching the sunrise at the Kokino observatory... the launch of his latest tour.
As for me... It marks the end of the same dreary winter and the opportunity to start work on my new project with a grant from the MN State Arts board. The focus of this one is a performance art piece – "Dream" that will be at Franconia Sculpture park early fall this year in conjunction with my installation Tornado Sky: Sunrise.
So without further explanation... I am off to get some studio time in before I have to leave for work. If I can stay focused enough for the next 2 months, It is going to make a huge impact on the rest of my summer... Here's to good studio habits, sunshine and green grass.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

It marks the end of the same dreary winter and the opportunity to start work on my new project with a grant from the MN State Arts board.

Woo-hoo!! To both, the end and the start. :)

Miss Jane Mansfield said...

Thanks Jennifer... So cool to have you along for the ride!!