Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Ship of Dreams


Building the sail was the first project I jumped into once I got my new work space up and running. It came together more beautifully than I had imagined. Nearly 12' tall and 8' wide, it is designed to stand in a 100 gallon galvanized steel water trough like you would find on a farm. It gives the piece a feel of a toy boat in a child's bathtub... truly exaggerated... "Dream" Style!! There are triangle frames on the front of it to hold 6 1500 Watt Ball Park lights that will be controlled with dimmer switches. I am renting a generator to run this one!!
When I finished building it on the floor of my studio, it was so big and heavy I had to tie ropes to the rafters of the ceiling to lift it. Once I got the ropes secure I literally stood under the spine of the sail and lifted it onto a beam with my back... So... that takes up half my space now and I had to do some major rearranging to make room to build the house of Dreams...

No comments: