Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Today I am Juggling




WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE CHEMICAL REACTION NECESSARY TO COLLECT THE ELEMENTS TOGETHER NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE PICTURE, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE TRUE ESSENCE OF MAGIC.

During My Time in Art School... The creative experience was exceptional. It was and continues to be a source of magic that is suspended in mid-air. A point in time that still carries a powerful unleashed potential.
The year was 1980. I had wandered into the Minneapolis College of art and design out of curiosity. I was living in the neighborhood, and being that I was an artist, I decided to take a look. One hour later I walked out the door with a promisary note in my hand and started school the next week.
The events that took place over the next two years were nothing short of phenomenal.
During my second semester, Ron Dahl, who was head of the Fine Arts department at the time, started a Performance Art program at The College. Mike Kelley was the first instructor. It was his first job out of College. Nancy Waller & I had already begun doing performance art of our own under the name of Public Picnic Productions. Although the Performance class was a second year program... we were invited to attend. The list of artists we had the opportunity to work with is as impressive as thier work continues to be today... Terry Fox, Alan Scarritt, Tony Oursler & Vito Acconci, to name a few.
Life-Art was a prevalent theme intertwined in many different directions.
This - As time unfolds and the story takes form - You will see - Is an intricate element in the creation of the new body of work I am about to create. Energy so real and moving it can only be expressed in the work it creates from itself.

No comments: