Friday, February 08, 2008

The Magic is Happening!!! I Can Feel It...


Me and My Brother....
JOHN BYRON MANSFIELD
MARCH 19 1960 - MAY 13 2007
When my phone rang at work yesterday the caller ID revealed a number I was definitely not familiar with.
About a month ago Ruth Frost, a Chaplain with Twin Cities Hospice had called me as part of a follow up they do to families who have lost loved ones over the past year to see how they are doing, and how they handled the difficult time of the Holidays. As we got to talking, I mentioned that I was an artist.... that was where we really connected, because it turns out that she was an artist as well. I explained a little bit about how the loss of my brother marked the end of my childhood family and how my future creative vision involved collecting the past, releasing it and moving forward into the future.
The work is scheduled to take place during a two year fellowship for which I have applied. If this happens to be your first time reading my online journal I will add a brief update... The plan is to create and set sail to three Electric Water Ships. One each for my Father, Mother and Brother. Each ship will be made from a small wooden fishing boat with a sail covered in light bulbs. There will be a generator on board to light the sail. Each ship will have a treasure chest. The time I spend creating this body of work will give me the time needed to reflect on each of their lives and the impact of our lives together.
So, to make a long story longer...
I answered the phone, and it Was Ruth. I had sent her a copy of my Fellowship proposal and she rolled out this amazing phrase... (which i can't even remember how it went) but she started out by saying how my wonderful project was really the story of my greiving process and how interesting it was that I am integrating healing into the artwork.
She invited me to write a story for their upcoming newsletter saying that she felt people would find inspiration to help them through their own grief. I am really touched and feel quite honored to be able to be included in their world, if only in a small way... The work they are doing for people truly ranks them among Gods Angels on earth.
I will post a copy of the story here when it happens.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

How wonderful. I look forward to reading your story.

When you first mentioned the electric ships, I imagined it was part of your grieving as well and reminded me of the Viking burial ships where they would light the remains and would then send it off on the water. Of course yours is figurative...

Miss Jane Mansfield said...

The correlation is pretty intriguing.... I guess I have heard of Viking Burials before, but never gave it much thought... I am sure somewhere in the higher mind of my subconscious the connection has been quite obvious... Considering my Icelandic heritage. It is just my mortal earthbound mind that has to put the puzzle together one piece at a time. I will make it a point to follow up on the connection... Thanks Jennifer