Sunday, April 19, 2009

Waiting for the Grass to Grow




Mothers at Sunrise is one of the concepts that has evolved from it's original incarnation in House of Chaos to an installation that will be featured as one of the pieces for the Gallery front window. It includes a piece that is made from my own mothers ironing board... She passed away when I was in my early 20's and it is one of the few things I have kept all of these years knowing one day I would use it for art. The only time I ever Ironed on it was as a kid when I would help my mom. The piece has also taken a new direction since my concept sketch... incorporating ground level electricity. This baking pan is filled with dirt and wheat grass seed that will grow up around the light bulb throughout the run of the show. It is one of two pans that will sit on top of the ironing board. The Aunt Jemima's and the little boy figurine will be suspended above buckets of water below.

No comments: